Thursday, September 22, 2011

Project #1- Reflection

     When I first started thinking about this assignment, I realized that I wanted to write some type of love letter from a man to his wife. I wanted this letter to be a husband expressing what he thinks about and what he feels for his wife through strange descriptions. With this, I thought that a country song would be a good place to start as these lyrics tend to talk about love or about the feelings someone has for someone else. With this, I decided to copy lyrics from one of my favorite country songs into the Babel fish text translator in hopes that translating it from English to other languages and then back to English, would reform it into an interesting yet compelling text. Unfortunately, after translating this text a couple times between languages, it resulted in a bunch of words thrown together that were almost impossible to work with.  In having these difficulties with using the translator, I decided to look at each of the different websites that were recommended on the D2L website.
     With this, I began exploring each of the websites in hopes that I would find any words or phrases that would stick out to me. Throughout this search process, I was looking for particular phrases that would make sense in a love letter but would be different and unique at the same time. I was purposely looking for strange phrases that still described one’s feelings towards another as I wanted this letter to be a new twist on the traditional and typical formal love letter one would see. From this, the website that was the most helpful in generating strange sayings that still made sense was the www.madsci.org website. I found a bulk of my phrases and words from this website as a majority of the randomly generated sayings began with the word your. Considering I had intentions of making a letter that was directed at one particular person, these sayings were perfect for the direction I was going in. Although most of these phrases were very good from the beginning, it was necessary to alter them so that they would make sense and portray the overall purpose of the letter. With this, I copy and pasted what phrases I wanted to work with and then altered them by adding new words or reforming the phrase by changing the order of the words. In this editing process, I found myself using www.dictionary.com a lot as many of the words generated on this website were unfamiliar to me. In finding out what the definitions of these new words were, I would then decide if they were appropriate to use in the letter and if they would make the letter flow correctly. If the words did not really seem to work with where I was trying to go, then I would look for other words that would convey the message better while at the same time adding to the overall weirdness of the letter.   
     Overall, I found the editing process of the random generated phrases from the website the most difficult part in writing this letter as it was very frustrating trying to make completely random phrases work together to covey a meaning. I found myself constantly reediting certain parts as I was trying to create the perfect flow from sentence to sentence in order for the letter to still make sense to the reader despite the weirdness of it. In the end, I think I did a good job of reworking and changing the random phrases I came upon as the end result is a love letter that portrays a man’s feelings and desires about his wife through very descriptive and strange sayings.

No comments:

Post a Comment